Word could not describe

Word could not describe
Citizen Maisey at Lincoln Memorial

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Wonderful Noise

In the spring of 2003, I remember Lisa and I sitting on our couch watching TV and talking about Jake, who was not to come for a few more months. Lisa said something like "so, are you ready?" I assured her I was, but then said something I'll always remember. I said "Listen." Lisa told me she heard nothing. My reply was "and isn't that wonderful? Savor it as we won't hear it for 20 more years." I thought I was making a profound statement about the noise of children. I hadn't the slightest notion that the "noise" that children make is like beautiful music. It may not seem so at the time, and it seldom does, but now when it's silent there's a strange uneasy feeling. It's too quiet where there should be a lot of noise. I do try to remember this when the noise includes countless arguments about who did what to who first, or whatever the argument of the minute is. I try to remember that the noise is just the kind of noise a family makes. The healthier the family, the more noise it creates. The worst thought for me would be a house filled with people where no noises could be heard. And I mean human noises, not iPods or Play-stations. I'm so grateful that the noise level in our house is at a decibel level that could drive bees from their hive and that's a good thing.  It means things are going well.

The apostle Paul commands us:

Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 NIV)

So the next time the noise in your home is about to push you to the brink, rejoice, pray, and give thanks. I couldn't even imagine, nor do I want to, what a silent house would feel like.

No comments:

Post a Comment